A week and a half ago I took possession of my new laptop and set about trying to connect to my Belkin wi-fi router. Despite much messing about, I just couldn’t get it to work. Well, I think I finally have a grip on things thanks to help from big bro Donncha this weekend.
My basic set up is BT ADSL modem connected to phone line, wi-fi router connected to modem through ethernet cable, PC connected to wi-fi router through ethernet cable and laptop connected wirelessly through wi-fi router.
The main problem I had was that the modem IP is 192.168.1.1 whereas the wi-fi router is at 192.168.2.1. This means that the IP address you set up on the connecting computers, whether wireless or wired, need to have an IP address in the 192.168.2.x range with the default gateway set to 192.168.2.1. The default gateway of the wi-fi router must be set as 192.168.1.1 so that it connects to the modem. I also turned off the DHCP server on the suggestion of a boards.ie member. This assigns IP addresses to different computers but I think it’s better to set these manually.
I was in the Old Oak in Cork today and tried connecting to their free wi-fi but couldn’t at first. I had to change the default gateway from the 192.168.2.1 and just let the computer obtain an IP address automatically. At a guess, I’d imagine setting it as 192.168.1.1 would work too.
This is actually quite simple stuff and my main reason for writing this is that I don’t forget it all in a years time when for whatever reason I have to set up new networks. Also, ringing Belkin support twice didn’t give much satisfaction. In fact, I was told that my wi-fi router model wouldn’t connect with DSL. I’m writing this from my wi-fi connection so that was complete bollocks. Thankfully I didn’t splurge on a new router and Donncha came good with setting up the network.
Obviously I’m a bit of a newbie to setting up networks so if you have any other tidbits that you want to add here, feel free to do so in the comments below.